Friday, December 25, 2015

My Nativity Project (#9 - The Star) Christmas Day Edition



My Nativity Project:
A Journey Through the Manger Scene 

in Sermon and Song
(#9 - The Star - Bonus Christmas Day Edition)


NOTE: #8 The Shepherd's - will be available soon.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Often at the top of the nativity sits a star.  We don't talk much about the star at Christmas other than to mention it in the Magi story.  I once heard a sermon that was preached from the perspective of the star.  I remember it being rather good, but I can't tell you one specific thing that was said.  Such is that fate of even the best work of preachers, I guess.  In my defense, and the preacher's, it was over twenty years ago.

Speaking of the Star atop the manger scene, reminds me of one of my favorite songs from this Advent - "Another Christmas" by the Ohio-based band Over the Rhine.  This melancholy holiday song offers some memorable and thought provoking lines such as:


"This old world so sweet and so bitter
Seeds of violence we humans have sown
And these weapons we still love to handle
May our children have strength to let go

When we look at the stars after midnight
Sparkling rumors of redemption at play
Can we still hear the echoes of angels
Who were singing that first Christmas day"

The lyrics speak directly to the current state of the world and offer the hope of redemption brought by Jesus moving into our neighborhood.  However, it is the refrain that has drilled it's way into into my mind and spirit this Christmas...

" ‘Cause I’ve committed every sin
And each one leaves a different scar
It’s just the world I’m livin’ in
And I could use a guiding star

I hope that I can still believe
The Christ child holds a gift for me
Am I able to receive
Peace on earth this Christmas"

While we often seek feel good songs at Christmas, it is the depth of reality that is sung by Linford Detweiler that strikes me.  As he confesses his need for a guiding star I sense my turn in the confession booth making the same claim.  When he asks if he is able to receive a gift from the Christ child, I too wonder if I can trust that the baby Jesus still has a gift for me.

So as we finish this exploration of the nativity I find myself placing this hope of a guiding star on top of the manger scene residing in my blistered soul in hope that a true guiding star will take the place of that hope.  That guiding star would be a gift I would be glad to receive.

Joel K


You can find the lyrics for "Another Christmas" here.

BONUS TRACK:
The second song I fell in love with this Christmas is Sam Phillip's "Cold Dark Night."  It is just a great track and I offer it to you as a gift on Christmas Day!




cartoon credit = http://www.everettpatterson.com/?p=1835

No comments:

Post a Comment