Friday, January 23, 2015

LAMENT

WARNING:  IT IS GONNA GET HONEST IN HERE
The post below was written a month ago while I was on vacation in Michigan over the holidays.  I have been waffling on posting it.  In the end, inspired by the Keep it 100 segment on The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore (which you all should check out), honesty won out.  #keepit100

Today (Sunday Dec. 28, 2014) I listened to a sermon by Nate Bull at Centerpoint Church in Kalamazoo, MI.  Preaching out of Exodus 33 he challenged the congregation to recommit their lives to following Jesus in 2015.  It was an excellent message about seeking God's place in your life and what it means to believe in a God that is light and contains no darkness at all. 

During the message Pastor Bull quoted an author (which was uncredited, unless I missed it) as saying, "God has shown his willingness to bless something He will not inhabit."  Twenty years of ministry and four decades of life tells me this is true (1). The scriptures also show this to be true.  The statement itself is not what has been nagging at me from the second I got out of the service till the time I took out my iPad unable to sleep 12 hours later.  The bit that I can't reconcile is what if God does neither?  What if He doesn't bless or inhabit a life, a ministry, a place, a neighborhood, a season?

This is no abstract theological puzzle (I love those, but never have they kept me up at night).  These questions, and the tears they induced (which I choked back as to not embarrass myself or the family members whose church I was visiting) as I walked out of the auditorium, are very real.  For a long time now I have felt like God is very distant (other than in fleeting moments) and that I have been left alone in my struggle with Him and life.  The best way I know to describe it is that I am tired of fighting.  After a couple of years in which the demands of work and ministry (even when your full time job is ministry the reality is some things are just work, anyone who says different is not telling you the truth), church leadership, as well as family, have left me too tired to fight anymore.  Two years of my wife fighting cancer depleted me.  The ministry I helped found and lead has undergone massive changes that daily leave me feeling stretched beyond my capacity to guide it.  The youth that our ministry serves are among some of the most voiceless in my city and my throat is horse from being a voice for them, with them and to them.  My desire to try to lead change or minister in my home congregation has disappeared in a puff of smoke.  All in all, my spiritual fervor has dwindled to a faint flicker - a spark where a fire used to be.

Those that know me well know me as a determined fighter.  I have always been pushing and struggling, willing to fight to get things done.  In the early days of Parachutes when asked by my boss to write a job description I took a Sharpie and scrawled on a Post-It note "whatever it takes."  I have often joked that my walk up song, if I were a Major League Baseball player, would be The Nightwatchmen's "Whatever it takes."  For years I was willing to do anything and everything (often to the detriment of my family) to make sure Parachutes survived and that I was   ministering in my church and neighborhood the best that I could.

In recent months there has been a sharp contrast in my approach to life.  As I have written before, I experienced a bout with anxiety and depression this past fall and the residue of those struggles continues.  I often think about something I scratched out as I worked through those issues, again written in Sharpie marker: "I have never felt so weak."  And so it was again today.  I feel weak.  I feel like God is neither blessing me or inhabiting my body, my life, my ministry, my family or my mind.  I feel like God has forsaken me.

I grew up in a world were I was told that if you work hard and do what God asks you to do you will be blessed....maybe even inhabited.  But my question is, what if you have worked hard and done what you thought God has asked you to do and in the end all you are is tired?  What if the blessings you have received are cancer, a job that pays almost exactly the same as it did when you took it 14 years ago (and pays 1/4 to 1/3 of what others in the field get paid), a 40 year old mobile home, obscurity, and exhaustion.  It's damn hard to find the blessing in that! 

So if God is out there blessing things, things that He isn't even going to inhabit, why do I feel like I have served the best I can and don't feel blessed, or inhabited, just burned out?  Why do I feel like Jason Batemans character in the film This Is Where I Leave You when he says, Im too old to have this much nothing?

I'm taking a pretty big risk throwing this out on the Internet.  My family reads this thing.  My wife's family reads this.  I have supporters that read this.  Volunteers and board members read this.  Anyone could read this, it's the worldwide web after all.  Frankly, that has been part of my struggle.  I feel like as a leader I can't share my struggle easily or at all.  Making matters worse is a Christian culture that is quick to arrive at easy answers.  I know that some of you reading this are already formulating the words to share with me that "I am blessed" and to "look what God has done" and a hundred more cliches.  Trust me I know them all because I say them to myself every day and the reality is I still feel like God has walked away from me.

In Lamentations God's people cry out to Him and rail against Him for leaving them.  In that entire book God never speaks.  He leaves space for the cry.  The cry is so important that He lets it be.  One third of the Psalms are Laments.  Lamenting is part of faith, and that gives me some comfort.  On the other hand lamenting sucks!  God's people are in the desert for 40 years.  Being in the desert sucks!

So for 2015 I am not rededicating myself to God...I'm being honest about my Lament and asking God to honor it...but I'm pretty tired of the silence and I wouldn't mind a blessing or inhabitation either.

Joel K

Doubt is the way of faith sometimes
                                    - Five Oclock People


(1)  I do think this statement is limited because God could choose to do neither.  Pastor Bull never examined this other option leading the listener to believe God is either blessing or inhabiting things/people/situations, etc., or both inhabiting and blessing, but not neither.  The option for God to remove both His blessing and inhabitation was not even alluded to.

2 comments:

  1. Brother,
    Thanks for being honest. Are you still feeling this way? Lance and I are talking about your blog right now, we are not totally shocked by it as we could sense the discouragement in your heart while you were here. Lance is wondering out loud if we get blessing and success confused at times. Maybe God sends one and not the other sometimes? Could God send blessing and "failure" to us in tandem from time to time?

    You know me, so you know I have been studing something from God's word recently. We have just worked our way through chapter 15 of "The Story" It covers the life of Elijah. You know it well. Did you ever notice how depressed he was all the time? In 1 Kings 19, God had just proved to the evil king of Israel and all the prophets of Baal that He was the only true God by sending a consuming, lightning bolt of fire from heaven at Elijah's request. No one could doubt after seeing that kind of power that God was the real deal and Elijah was His right hand man. The text say's that "the power of the Lord came on Elijah". So what we see next is unexpected, Elijah is in complete despair. He say's to God, "I have had enough, Lord, take my life, I am no better than my ancestors." He is so depressed and tired that he just wants to die. Elijah goes quickly from, 'I'll do anything it takes for you, Lord" to "kill me now". Elijah also says in verse 10 of chapter 19, (I'm paraphrasing) "I have done everything for you, Lord, I have been very zealous and it has come to nothing! My mission has failed and the ones you sent me to are trying to kill me!" I don't know if Elijah felt inhabited by God or not but he sure did not feel blessed. Interestingly, God did give him a mission that would ultimately fail. The nation of Israel does not turn back to God and as a result they are carried off by Assyria never to be heard from again. Why did God call Elijah (and others in his day) to a ministry that was doomed from the get go? Does he call us to do ministry like that sometimes?

    I am sorry that I am just leaving you with questions, not answers. I will not try to tell you all the ways you have been blessed (even though you have). You know that I do believe that God is good all the time, maybe we just don't know what good is. I also know that God loves you, just as much as he loved Elijah. I will take a cue from you and give you a song. One by Laura Story comes to mind, you may not have heard it because its not in your genera :) but the chorus says this, "What if your blessings come thru raindrops, What if your healing comes thru tears, What if a thousand sleepless night are what it takes to know Your're near, What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise?"

    Love you, Joel

    ReplyDelete